Sunday, November 25, 2012

This little light of mine...


So long as patriarchal, legalistic, fundamentalist Christian churches continue to exist there will also and always be men and more women who yearn to escape into a larger, more open worldview. I want to be one of the guides who serve as a companion and supporter for those who feel drawn to move out into a wider, taller, bigger faith. 

I, and many others, have walked that walk, and God knows I love to talk the talk!  Lest I be misunderstood, let me acknowledge at the outset that for millions of people fundamentalist Christian churches feel like home; I respect that choice and would not attempt to “lure” anyone out of a religious community that feels right for them.

Yet for those who feel their church or faith is too tight a fit; who feel judged and restrained, who are tired of pretending they are who they are not; who have the pervasive feeling that much of the teachings don’t make intellectual sense, and who suspect the Bible is not the be all and end all, especially when interpreted as literal truth, I want to hold up a lantern that lights the way to well-worn paths out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My hope is that each blog entry serve as a conversation starter...please feel free to join in!